Truck Driver Academy

Contact Us (Se Habla Español)

  • 909-201-7600
  • 11081 Cherry Ave, Fontana, CA 92337


4276 Elton St, Baldwin Park, CA 91706 | 11081 Cherry Ave, Fontana, CA 92337   |    909-201-7600 ( Se Habla Español ) 

Trucking FAQs

Truck Driver Academy / About Us / Trucking FAQs

1. What Do You Need to Become a Truck Driver in 2019?

All of the following steps can be made easy by working with a truck driving school like Truck Driving Academy. Truck Driving Academy can help you through every step along the way and even help you find a job once you have successfully completed the course and obtained your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).

  1. Be at least 21 years of age (or 18 years of age to drive in-state)
  2. Submit your state’s CDL Application and pay the appropriate fee
  3. Provide proper identification and social security number verification (requirements may vary from state to state)
  4. Provide proof of state and US residency
  5. Submit a completed Medical Examination Report Form and Medical Examiner’s Certificate Form
  6. Pass a general vision test
  7. Pass a knowledge exam
  8. After passing both the vision and knowledge exams, you will be issued a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)
  9. After a minimum of 14 days, you can then schedule your CDL road skills examination
  10. Pass a pre-trip inspection
  11. Pass the road skills and driving examination (you must bring your own vehicle)
  12. After passing the pre-trip inspection and the road skills and driving exams, you will need to pay the necessary fees for your new CDL. You may also have to submit a 10 Year Record Check if you’ve had a driver’s license in any state or jurisdiction other than the one where you are applying for your CDL.
  13. Once all the above is completed you will obtain your CDL and are able to start looking for job opportunities!


2. How Much Does Truck Driving School Cost?

The cost of truck driving school varies from state to state, as well as between providers. Typically, the cost of obtaining a suitable Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is somewhere between $3,000 and $7,000 – give or take a few. The type of license and endorsements you wish to obtain will also influence the cost. The price for Class A training is different from that of Class B, not including the cost of relevant driving endorsements.

3. How Long Does It Take to Become a Truck Driver?

If you are participating in a full-time course, it can take you around seven weeks to complete the relevant CDL training. If you are participating in a part-time course, it can take over 3 months. Also, obtaining the Class A license requires significantly more training than the Class B. Many trainees can obtain their Class B license in just around a week.


4. How are Commercial Driver Licenses Classified?

Class A: GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more; ability to tow more than 10,000 pounds.
Class B: GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more; towing capacity less than 10,000 pounds.
Class C: GVWR under 26,001 pounds; ability to carry 16 or more passengers, or hazardous materials.
Class A license holders can operate Class B and Class C vehicles with the proper endorsements.


5. How Old Do I Have To Be To Get a Commercial Driver’s License?

You must be at least 18 years old to acquire a CDL. However, if you are under the age of 21, you are only permitted to drive interstate (within your state of residence).


6. What Kind of Training Will I Receive at Truck Driver Academy?

Your training will consist of classroom education, field as well as on-road driving.


7. Do You Offer Career Placement Assistance?

Yes, Truck Driver Academy is partnered with some of the largest trucking companies as well as smaller local companies in order to provide our graduates the best our industry has to offer. Read more about our truck driver placement service here.


8. Can I Drive a Truck If I Have a Felony Conviction?

Yes, however this comes with a stipulation. This is will be dependent on how long ago you were convicted for this felony. Some trucking companies will hire you if the conviction occurred 3 or more years prior while others require 5 or more years before consideration.


9. What Endorsements Can I Receive for Class A CDL?

There are four main Class A Endorsements in which truckers may go for to earn more money when driving for a living, these are:

  • Hazardous Materials / Hazmat = H Endorsement
  • Tank Vehicles / Tanker = N Endorsement
  • Double / Triple Trailers = T Endorsement
  • Air Brake Restriction = K Endorsement


10. Does Trucking Allow Me to Bring Family Members?

Most carriers certainly do offer rider programs, usually with a minimum age limit for children. We recommend reading our truck driver passenger regulations blog for more information.